Saturday, November 17, 2007

Horrorfest II (2007)

Note: This review was originally posted on Myspace. I am reposting it here for archival purposes. It has been backdated to the date of its original posting.

Night 1 - Setup: Waterfront Theatre was nice. There was a lot more cars on my way out (around 10) than on my way in (around 6). I was surprised that the screen dedicated to Horrorfest was such a small room. I counted only 85 seats. But, to be fair, there were less than 15 people in each of the two showings I caught tonight. Hey, I like smaller crowds, but I hope a) Horrorfest doesn't go out of business, and b) the Waterfront doesn't join the Destinta in believing that Horrorfest isn't worth the commitment. There was at least one other group, a woman and a younger girl, who stayed on for both of the showings I saw, and one person at the end of the second showing I caught commented on the film using the phrase "this one", suggesting that she had seen other Horrorfest titles. Just exciting to know that people are getting into the festival experience and not just happening to catch one on a whim.

Unearthed
The Deaths of Ian Stone

Night 2 - My second day of Horrorfest was a lot of fun, and the average quality of films was definitely higher. There were also more people, this being a Saturday night. I got a chance to dine at Uno's, which is on the Waterfront. That was a treat, since Uno's is one of the best restaurants ever, and I don't often get a chance to eat there. Then it was an evening of three films to die for! And the best part - I think I've found my favorite for this year's festival! There's still three films to go, but I have a good feeling about this one. (FYI, my favorite from last year was The Abandoned).

Lake Dead
Mulberry St
Tooth And Nail

Night 3

Nightmare Man
Crazy Eights
Borderland

Conclusion: I'm still gonna say Tooth And Nail is my pick for favorite. Overall, I had a great time at Horrorfest this year, and, it's kinda hard to tell but, I'm tempted to say the quality of this year's films was a little bit better than last year, despite what anyone might tell you. I've heard that the fest has been doing a lot worse than last year, in terms of box office sales, but I don't know all the details. I do hope that Horrorfest returns next year, though. It's great fun for a horror fan, and though the quality of the films varies, I have yet to be disappointed in the overall experience. So here's to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment