Thursday, February 24, 2011

Zombies of Mass Destruction (2009)

Note: This review is part of my coverage of Horrorfest IV.

Zombies Of Mass Destruction

ZMD was more or less a dud. Honestly, I don't know if it was better or worse than The Graves. As a movie, it's a bit better, but then, The Graves had two hot goth chicks in the lead. I think ZMD might be the first true zombie movie in a Horrorfest. Correct me if I've forgotten something. But, unfortunately for me, it's a zomcom. I'm not a big fan of comedies in general, and I've yet to find a zombie comedy that particularly appeals to me. Shaun of the Dead was good, but still not really my cup of tea. But ZMD doesn't even have that. It's pretty bad. It tries to be funny and a political satire. A few of the jokes are humorous, and some of the satire hits, but in large part it's a misfire.

For example, one of the main characters is an American of direct Iranian descent. When the zombie outbreak hits, and is immediately blamed on terrorists, a hyper-patriotic former-Canadian (for the sake of irony) captures and tortures this young woman - because she looks like a terrorist - and insists that she "prove" her patriotism. Admittedly, some of the extremes he goes to are pretty humorous, but I don't think we really need a satire to show us how stupid it is to discriminate against certain types of people for wholly superficial reasons, because of what other people in other parts of the world may be doing that's bad. I don't know. It could just be a matter of taste, or maybe that this film's tongue is planted a little too firmly in cheek. Like all things, I prefer my satire with less humor and more bite.

(I'm not even gonna bother trying to turn that into a zombie-related pun, because this movie doesn't really deserve it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment