Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Much Belated Horrorfest

For the previous four years, After Dark Films has presented Horrorfest: 8 Films To Die For. Each year, Horrorfest has seen eight independent horror films destined for limited release, chosen for theatrical screening in a festival atmosphere over one or two weekends in selected theaters across the country. Last year's Horrorfest was the last, with After Dark Films now replacing it with their Originals, in an even more limited screening. Last year was also the first Horrorfest I couldn't see in theaters, because none of the theaters within an hour's drive of my house were showing it. Now, I finally have my hands on the DVD Box Set of Horrorfest 4, so I can sit down and watch what I missed. And though I took my time finding the time to sit down and watch them, here are my impressions of the final 8 Films To Die For (in the order that I viewed them):

The Reeds
The Final
Dread
The Graves
Lake Mungo
Zombies of Mass Destruction
Hidden
Kill Theory

Conclusion: And that concludes Horrorfest. It was fun while it lasted. I had a good 4+ years. I suppose my last order of business would be to rank this (er, last) year's films, from best to worst - a task that I have been both looking forward to, and dreading...

Lake Mungo
Hidden
The Final
Dread
Kill Theory
The Reeds
Zombies of Mass Destruction
The Graves

Although this year, unlike last year, when there were a couple films that stood as being clearly the best, the ones that stand out were the couple that were clearly the worst. So there's a pretty big gap between The Reeds and ZMD, and I would recommend any of the films above that gap, and I would caution you to avoid those two below the gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment