Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2010 Movie Releases (In Review)

I was thinking about all the movies I've seen in the theater this year, and it actually surprised me how many there were. I thought (as I always seem to) that it would only be a few, but there turned out to be 9! Here they are, in the order that I saw them:



The Runaways - rock biopic about the all-girl teenage rock band that launched Joan Jett's career (starring Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning)

Splice - sci-fi story about a genetic experiment to create a new form of life gone [expectedly] wrong (starring Adrien Brody)

Predators - long-awaited continuation of the Predator story; a group of trained killers wake up on a foreign planet to find themselves the prey in an alien hunt (starring Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, among others)

Inception - epic action thriller depicting the use of a new technology that allows a person to infiltrate another's dreams (starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen Page, among others)

The Last Exorcism - found-footage film about an exorcist's documentary to uncover the hoax of exorcism, but his last job gives him more than he bargained for (starring Patrick Fabian)

Machete - grindhouse-style exploitation film about a Mexican ex-fed's violent revenge against the politics of injustice (starring Danny Trejo, Jessica Alba, among others)

Paranormal Activity 2 - found-footage film about a family haunted by a demon; sequel to last year's Paranormal Activity (starring real victims! Haha, no, just kidding)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - first half of the final installment in the Harry Potter series; Harry and friends are on the run in search of the key to defeating the Dark Lord Voldemort (starring Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe)

Black Swan - psychological thriller about a ballerina driven to madness in an attempt to perfect her performance (starring Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis)

I regret not going to see Let Me In in theaters. I'll have to watch it sometime. It's a vampire flick starring Chloe Moretz, and is a remake of a Swedish film (called Let The Right One In, based on a book) which I have seen. And speaking of Chloe Moretz, she also starred in Kick-Ass, which I did see, but not in the theater; that was a fun movie, I probably should have seen it in theaters too. And I missed After Dark's Horrorfest in 2010, on account of it not showing in my town this year (bummer), but I got the box set for Christmas and I'll be sitting down to watch all those films shortly (read my reviews here).

There were, as usual, a number of films that came out in 2010 that looked interesting, but I didn't get around to seeing. I'll probably sit down and watch them sometime. Among those are Alice in Wonderland, Devil, Frozen, Case 39, I Spit On Your Grave (I loved the original), Catfish, Burlesque, 127 Hours (frankly I'm a little bit scared to see this one), and possibly others that I don't recall. As for next year, Red Riding Hood looks rather intriguing.

Here's to another year of great movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment