Friday, November 20, 2015

The X-Files - S7:E5 "Rush"

[ S7:E4 "Millenium" <<< Season 7 >>> S7:E6 "The Goldberg Variation" ]

I imagine this is the sort of episode you would call the "meat-and-potatoes" of the X-Files. It's a traditional freak-of-the-week story - probably not going to make anyone's top 10 list, but a good, solid, watch-it-then-move-on kind of episode, without any daring change-of-formula experiments - like we used to get in the first season. Given that this is the seventh season, and especially coming on the heels of the light-hearted sixth season, an episode like this is very welcome - like inviting an old friend over for dinner that you haven't seen in a while. The story itself (written by David Amann, who penned two of last season's more or less traditional episodes - Terms of Endearment, and Agua Mala) would seem to be based on a drug metaphor and a cheap pun, involving teenagers (drawing parallels, however unfavorable, to season 3's Syzygy). (When I found out the teenage minx's name was Chastity, I swear to god I laughed out loud). A cop and then a teacher turn up dead at the hands of an invisible killer, manifesting as a single frame blur on video, and Mulder thinks it's a poltergeist. This is another one of those cases where the local authorities have a suspect, and want an open-and-shut case, and Mulder and Scully are the only ones interested in the truth. (This is also a perfect example of how two wrongs don't make a right - locking up an innocent man to make up for the killing of another innocent man isn't justice). There's no real explanation provided for the supernatural phenomena in this episode, but it builds to a reasonably satisfying climax. Remember, kids - speed kills!

Memorable quotes:

Max: It's a vow, Tony. Don't make it if you're gonna break it.

Mulder: If you really think he's guilty, Scully, why don't you ask yourself this: why wouldn't he make up a more plausible cover story?

Chuck Burks: I dig a mystery with layers.

Max: What's this?
Mr. Babbitt: Self-explanatory, isn't it?
Max: I got every answer right.
Mr. Babbitt: Not because you knew the material.
Max: Are you sayin' I cheated? How?
Mr. Babbitt: I have no idea how. But you did. And I won't tolerate it.

Mulder: I'll show you my theory if you show me yours.

Mulder: You know why he collapsed, don't you, Max?
Max: Yeah. Too much teen spirit.
Mulder: You think? Smells like murder to me.

Max: I can't go back to things standin' still.

No comments:

Post a Comment