Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Human Centipede (2009)

When The Human Centipede first came out, I vowed not to watch it, because, really, why would I want to? But I saw that it and its sequel were available on Netflix and, well, let's just say, it's a good thing I'm not a cat. Now I'm torn between wishing I hadn't watched it, and being relieved that I've gotten over it, and sated my masochistic curiosity.

It's not even a "bad movie" in the sense of having terrible production values and all that. Although I will state that the two women who get lost in the woods (in painfully cliché fashion) were overacting, like instead of responding naturally to the situation, with escalating fear, they were acting like they knew they were in a horror movie, and wouldn't stop whining and screaming, and it got really annoying fast.

The doctor, on the other hand, was expertly cast, and even though there's nothing to like about his character, he did a really good job of bringing it to life, and making the audience believe he's a twisted surgeon with mightily sadistic delusions of grandeur.

The rest that I have to say about this movie is that it's as disgusting as its title and premise would suggest, even if it's not as graphic as it could have been - but it still makes you feel really uncomfortable. I'm not above watching uncomfortable movies about disturbing subjects, but at the end you want to feel like there was some kind of point to the experience. Here, you just get the feeling that it was done - much like the doctor's experiment - just because it could, without any thought to whether or not it should.

And therefore, I really have no reason to recommend it to anyone... Even if you are a little curious, you're probably better off just skipping it. I could name you a lot of other extremely uncomfortable movies you could brag to your friends about seeing, that are nevertheless worth watching, if you can stomach them. But not this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment