Monday, July 22, 2013

Cockneys vs. Zombies (2012)

Just for the record, I probably wouldn't have sought out this movie on my own. Though I love zombie movies, I'm not usually much for comedies - they just don't get me excited like serious movies do. And I want zombies to be scary, not funny. Nevertheless, my roommate has been on something of a zombie binge lately (we saw World War Z together a few weeks ago), and it's practically the only subgenre of horror she sincerely appreciates, so I like to encourage it as much as possible. That having been said, she likes comedies a whole lot more than I do. But, I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to see another zombie movie (hey, I even gave Zombie Strippers a chance :p).

In short, Cockneys vs. Zombies does exactly what it says on the tin. It's a humorous, tongue-in-cheek movie about the zombie apocalypse centralized in East London, populated entirely by a cast that speaks with Cockney accents. As someone who doesn't totally appreciate comedies, I can, however, say that it's a well put-together and entertaining movie, and I couldn't in all honesty say that it was a waste of my time. I still maintain that the only zomcom I really like is the original Return of the Living Dead. But, if you're into comedic zombie movies, and especially if you liked Shaun of the Dead, I think you'll probably dig this movie. If that sounds like you, then by all means, give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Oy, sounds like quite a film. x]

    If you're looking for zombie stuff, I just read about another BBC series from a few years back that I'm very excited about. It's called Dead Set and it's a scenario where during the taping of Big Brother, a zombie apocalypse occurs. It's not a comedy. Should be pretty cool, kind of like Ghostwatch in a way.

    I also have to recommend [REC] 3 Genesis. No, it's not as good as it should have been, but so long as you go into it knowing that (A) it stops being found footage 22 minutes in, and (B) it has absolutely nothing to do with exploring the back story of the priest & the medeiros girl, or the genesis of the original outbreak... so long as you go into it being well aware of those facts, it's actually a pretty well done movie. It's actually one of my favorite zombie movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, having seen [REC] and [REC]2, I suppose it's inevitable that I'll watch [REC]3 at some point.

      Delete